This is our stairwell...
Yeah, scary. The top ones after the corner are only 8 inches deep. Shortly after we moved in, we added the gripper tape to make them a bit safer. Abigail is really good at going up the stairs on her own, but (thankfully!) she hasn't felt confident to go down on her own...until yesterday!
After playing upstairs the conversation would usually go something like this:
Yeah, scary. The top ones after the corner are only 8 inches deep. Shortly after we moved in, we added the gripper tape to make them a bit safer. Abigail is really good at going up the stairs on her own, but (thankfully!) she hasn't felt confident to go down on her own...until yesterday!
After playing upstairs the conversation would usually go something like this:"Mama, down pease!"
"Okay, I'm coming!"
Yesterday though, I was preparing dinner in the kitchen and the conversation went like this:
"Mama, down pease!"
"just a minute..."
"do you want down?"
"yeah"
"do you want help?"
"no tay-tu."
"just a minute..."
"do you want down?"
"yeah"
"do you want help?"
"no tay-tu."
What?! I was a little nervous and hurried over to the stairs just as she was slowly coming around the corner, holding tightly to the hand rail. I was so proud of her and squealed in excitement then ran over to get the camera to document this important step in Abigail's journey.
I was so proud of her because she had decided that she wasn't ready for going down stairs yet but had reached a moment when she decided that she was and she went for it! Yay, Abigail! I'm so, so proud of you!
Today, she's back to being carried down and that's okay. I was just super proud of her for making that "step". I'm sure it's in large-part due to being with Luke Patty the day before. We were at their house for a staff day the day before. He has been confident at going up and down stairs for awhile now and after playing with him for 5 hours straight, I think it gave her the extra confidence boost she needed. I'm so glad she has a friend like Luka!

3 comments:
oops - on the other comment.
I just wanted to get on to say Hi and see my best friend and her fam virtually :). You are amazing at updating your site - I am so impressed! That photo of you and Joel on the welcome page is BEAUTIFUL - you shine with love, joy and beauty.
Thank you, thank you, for your call today, it means a lot to me. Thanks also for all of your love, support and prayer. You are great! I love you so much and love your sweet family.
Abigirl and Eli are wonderful!
Talk to ya the end of the month friend. I miss you very much!
love, gina marie
How independent! How impressive, but hopefully, not all the time yet! You know how grammas are! Just knowing that she can do it may be enough for now, and the fact that she still turns to mama or daddy for "down please" is a blessing!
Love you, mom
Post a Comment