Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Christmas Parade!

This post is a week old, but I wanted to do it anyway...
Last Sunday there was a Christmas parade in downtown Summerville. We have been having some pretty chilly weather despite the sunshine and it was actually nice to get bundled up again! The day of the parade it was in the 40's and it felt chilly!
It was fun to go to a parade though and see all the families and kids, get candy and see the different floats. Before the parade they were playing the Third Day Christmas CD...sounded so great and also strange to hear a Christian artist being broadcast over a loudspeaker at a secular event. Still not used to the "Christian" south.
The parade reminded me a little of the Gresham Teddy Bear Parade in that it was local schools, dance schools, businesses, radio stations, police and fire departments all displaying their talents and driving their floats. One of the floats was for a local dentist who had little "elves" handing out toothbrushes.Another part of the parade was a band of men (in memory of?) the civil war. The patriotism isn't quite as strong here in Charleston as I noticed it in Georgia, but there is just something about the South needing to hold on to that identity that is interesting to me. Really makes me feel like a "foreigner" sometimes...a true Yankee, I suppose. : ) The war was soooo long ago, yet in some places down here, it's like it happened last year. Well, this group of men, actually fired their guns and it startled Elijah so bad he was crying for about 3 minutes! Perhaps he'll avoid the toy guns in his life. : )The parade ended with a wonderful Santa Clause riding on top of a Summerville Firetruck. We've never been to a "Christmas" parade before and it was really fun!

4 comments:

Ben and Cherianne V said...

I understand what you are saying about feeling like an outsider in the South.

Rainy said...

Hi y'all! Oh boy--have we had LOTS of discussions in our family re. the "War of Northern Aggression." (You know, with 2 daughters in the South now) I've even taken up the game of "If only," ie "If only Lee had done this, or Grant did that, then it would have turned out a different way, etc. etc"
I used to think I could get away with saying I was a "crazy Westerner," but to a true blue Southener, if you don't remember the Civil War (or you CALL it the Civil War vs. the War between the States) or can't remember which side your state sided with, then you're just a d... Yankee.
Guess it's another culture you get to adapt to:)
And to their credit, they're just proud of their heritage:)

Lori Jackson said...

A little different than the potato parade and the parades for pust! Bet most people there have never been to a potato parade.

Chris & Julie Sorensen said...

Wish we could have been there! We will have to look for some special happening, in January, so we can take home a memory!!