Monday, January 25, 2010

Closed doors - open door

Over a year ago we knew the Lord was closing a door for us in Slovenia but had not showed us where He wanted our family to go next. As we prayed through the options, our hearts felt a peace about moving to Charleston, SC to be close to my parents.

We landed in Charleston October 1st and expected to quickly settle in to life here. We would drive through neighborhoods looking at houses and dreaming about calling them home. We asked about the schools that our children would one day attend and prayed about which local church to invest in.

After a few months the Lord had not opened any doors for us here and we felt no more settled than when we first arrived. We saw the Lord close door after door on opportunities He had in the past opened wide for us and quickly. We believed the Lord had something for us, we just weren't sure what.

We didn't anticipate where this opportunity would come from.

Christmas Eve Mark Stager an elder at Cornerstone near Portland called and explained that as a church they were looking to add on another pastor and asked if I would consider. I was floored, honored, confused, excited,...

A week or so later after talking to Barry, I called Mark back up and told him I'd like to throw my name in the ring. The elders have been going through a more detailed look to see if we would be a good fit for Cornerstone and if Cornerstone would be a good fit for us. They are flying our family out this Friday to spend 10 days there, getting some time with people, meeting with the elders and preaching on Sunday. I'm so excited about this opportunity it is difficult to keep my heart in check and realistic about where we are in the process.

The big question we have been asking is "what about my parents?" Living with MS is a difficult road and we have seen the burden lifted in many ways for my mom during our time here. It will be difficult to say goodbye if this opportunity works out. We asked them if they would move to Portland, to which they replied "not right now." It would be a difficult move across the entire US. My brother in FL would love to move closer and my sister and brother in law will be looking for a job this summer perhaps near Charleston.

We feel that we have received so much in moving here. Our transition back to the states has been fairly easy and going from 2 to 3 children has been buffered by an extra pair of hands in the house. We have been able to do some cosmetic changes to the house and made Dr appointment runs almost every week, starting with the week we arrived. Both of my parents believe the Lord is really opening this door for us and so excited about the opportunity and really sad all at the same time.

We have no idea what the future holds. We'll just keep following the Lord on this crazy adventure called life!

10 comments:

Greg and Andrea said...

We are really excited for your visit and hopeful, too, that God will keep this door open! Several people commented, ourselves included, back in Sept (I think that's when you were here?) after Joel spoke that it sure would be nice if we could have you here to do that more often. Had no idea then that it would be a possibility. See you soon!

Anonymous said...

The California Clan is praying for you all and knowing it will all work out how it is suppose to, God always has a plan. Much Love, the California Clan

Kathy said...

Wow! I just talked to Christina and she said you guys would be at Anna's wedding on Sat. and now I can see how that is working out. Fun! :-) I will look forward to seeing you guys and will be praying for God's clear leading for you on this faith adventure!

the Routsons said...

WOW! We hope the visit goes well and the Lord gives you clear direction. So interesting with timing and the Lord having you in SC for Calebs birth and to help out at the house and yet so many things left unopened. It's like a a great "to be continued" series can hardly wait to hear what happens!

Lauree "LO" Austin said...

Oh my goodness, what an opportunity! I am excited to see what God confirms during your trip and that the entire process of decision making would be filled with God's peace. I'm glad that I got the update, so I know what to pray about! Love you guys! Lauree

M and M Ricklick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M and M Ricklick said...

Hey Joel and Amy,

I am very sad to hear that God has closed doors for you in SC.

I know you will probably read this after your Oregon trip. Please email me your phone number ASAP. It's regarding youth a ministry opportunity that has arisen in our church. saltzburg@msn.com
Blessings, Mike & Michelle Ricklick

Anonymous said...

Upam, da se vse dobro konča za vas in vaše starše. Pompetovi

Jenne said...

It was wonderful to have you here. I am filled with hopeful anticipation!

Unknown said...

Praying for God's continued leading in your lives as I read your blog tonight!
Brenda (& Gord)