The term "holding pattern" keeps coming to my mind as I think about the past 4 1/2 months that we've been in the states. Wikipedia defines it this way, "The primary use of a holding pattern is delaying aircraft that have arrived at their destination but cannot land yet because of traffic congestion, poor weather, or runway unavailability (for instance, during snow removal)."We arrived at our destination 4 1/2 months ago...spending a month in Oregon before coming here to Charleston yet we're still living with Joel's parents and still waiting for a job to come Joel's way.
Joel has worked really hard to get his name out there. He's knocked on every non-profit organization's door in the area, offering his resume, applied for any job online that is the slightest bit interesting to him, applied for ministry positions, sat through interviews at Target and a local bank and received regretful phone calls after both. With all of the people looking for jobs right now, it sure feels like there is some definite "traffic congestion" going on!
We are definitely in a holding pattern right now and trusting that the Lord can see more clearly than we can, through the clouds to whatever it is that is delaying our landing.
Though our paychecks have stopped coming from Josiah Venture now, we are not lacking anything! Through amazing people, the Lord is still providing for us! Several people who supported us on a monthly basis while we were in Slovenia are still sending personal checks to us as well as a very generous gift from a special couple. We are being well taken care of by the Lord!
It has also been such a blessing to live with Joel's parents. We have a roof over our heads, beds to sleep in and everything else that a warm home offers. We've really been doing well these past months as we wait on the Lord. I've had "moments" of time where I get this overwhelming "need" to land. They're more like several hours more than moments, but looking back they are so few and far between that it feels more like a moment of time rather than an entire afternoon. Joel may feel differently though! : )
I have a wonderful husband who, when I am in one of those moments, can calm me down, talk me through our circumstances and bring me to a place of contentment with buying a set of three plastic drawers when I'm eyeing a dresser for little Caleb, or a bassinett Pak-N-Play instead of a full size crib.
That may sound flippant or sarcastic, but I truly don't mean it that way! For Joel to help me navigate all of my nesting feelings and emotions and to bring me to a place of rest and contentment is a true triumph...for both of us!
Early on during a Beth Moore Bible Study, the Lord gave me this verse:
Isaiah 30:18
Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion.
For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!
That has been an encouragement for me time after time as we circle in this holding pattern, patiently waiting on the Lord to say it is safe to land.
6 comments:
ohh Amy. i think of you often. =)
You are an encouragement to me, Amy. You are a great example of being patient. We'll keep praying for you, friend. Stephanie Leiby
Amy,
Thank you for sharing your heart. I love hearing how you are seeing what the Lord is providing one step at a time. Faith: believing in what you can't see...
We are looking for a childrens and family pastor here. The Carnahans go to church with us...I'm sure you are feeling the Lord is planting you on the East Coast though.
Thinking and praying for a soft, beautifull landing! -Becky
Dear Amy,
we think of you guys often. We miss you. Ajda still thinks Abi will be back someday:(
I hope that Gregors friend will buy your house than your life would get a lot easeier. They have small kids to and they seem realy nice. :o)
Love, Katja
God's plan is always the BEST! Sometimes when He says "wait", He plants within us an expectation of something BIG! Well, of course, look how BIG He is!
I love you dear lady and can understand your need to land. I will be praying for that time to come soon, but for you to delight in the ways that God is providing for you until then. Caleb is beautiful! Lauree
Post a Comment