It's been fun though and so rewarding at times! Last night I got a bottle of Robitussin cough medicine for 69 cents after using a "store" coupon for $3 and a "manufacturer" coupon for $2 that I picked up at a Doctor appt. The bottle cost $5.69 and after coupons, I only paid 69 cents! I've actually gotten a bottle of Tylenol Cold for FREE before by using coupons!
The grocery store that we shop at takes all competitor's coupons...Target, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, other grocery stores, etc. so it's easy to double up or "stack" coupons as the coupon lingo goes, using a "store" coupon and a "manufacturer" one.
Another thing that I didn't realize until arriving here is that if a sale item is "buy 1 get 1 free", that I don't actually have to buy both to get the sale price. Buying one just means that I only pay half price. Maybe not every store works that way though. Another thing I've learned is that if I do actually buy both, I can use two coupons. One for each item.
The language on the coupon can be confusing, "one coupon per item per customer" and I've thought that the two items are identical, so it's only "one" item, but I'm buying two identical items, so if I have two coupons I can use both! Last week Joel's Mom and I got Yoplait FiberOne Yogurt for 25 cents because they were Buy 1 Get 1 Free leaving them $1.25 each and we had coupons for $1 off, so we paid 25 cents for 4 amazingly-yummy and healthy yogurts!
I print coupons from online and I also clip the coupons found in the Sunday paper, so I had to figure out a system for keeping track of all these potential savings treasures!
So here is my "handy-dandy notebook!"
My coupon notebook cost about $20 to create, but last night I spent $29 on groceries and saved $43, so I think the cost was worth it!
Some websites that I found helpful in getting me started are:
super-couponing.com
jillcataldo.com and
southernsavers.com (a helpful website for stores in the south, but helpful for ideas even if you're not!)
Some websites I use for printing coupons are:
coupons.com (maybe you've seen their funny commercials!)
redplum.com
smartsource.com
There are also websites for loading coupons onto your store club card (Safeway):
cellfire.com
shortcuts.com
pgesaver.com
So one other thing that I like about it...besides the incredible savings we're having each week is that I'm buying the national brand products and still saving all the money and reaping the reward of the better taste and quality. I used to think that I had to buy store brand things because the national brand is more expensive, but I've found that by using coupons combined with buying things when they're on sale that it's actually cheaper than buying the store brand.
So! All that to say...that I'm really enjoying grocery shopping (especially because I go when the kids are asleep or Joel is able to watch them for me!) and the fun game of seeing how much I can save!
Hope you are too!!
4 comments:
Welcome to the world of couponing!! It is a lot fun, but can be stressful at times too. It's so nice to be able to build up a supply of things so that you can take a break from shopping when you need to.
And it is SO nice to be able to go shopping by yourself!!
Wow! Way to go Amy. I'm not much of a coupon shopper at the moment. with all those links and ideas I may need to rethink that.
Greaet stuff! Thanks for sharing!
Go Amy go! Next step...refunds! I remember well my bulletin board in the kitchen with all the rebate offers and the coupons that were attached to those rebates! I used to look for rebates everywhere! There are a lot of stores who post them now.
Love you, see you soon!
Mom
Post a Comment