Thursday, August 12, 2010

Strawberry Pickin'

While Mom Woodard (Red Grandma) was here, we also did some strawberry picking up in Sandy. Joel had the day off, so it was Mom, Joel & I along with Abigail, Elijah & Caleb. I'd read some blogs online that made it sound like it was pretty chaotic to take the kids along so I was pleasantly surprised when the kids did GREAT! At least, I thought so. Sure, they ate their way through the rows and stepped on a few plants and went back and forth from Dad who was over in the raspberries for a chunk of time, to Red Grandma, to me...but it was very fun and a great way to spend the morning! And at $1 per pound...it was completely worth the 28 pounds strawberries and 2 lbs of raspberries we came home with.

The rest of the day was spent washing, hulling & slicing the berries to get them into the freezer. Some are in smaller freezer bags ready to be thawed and cooked into jam, some have already been cooked into jam and others are whole berries, frozen and ready to be made into smoothies, pies or whatever! Thanks, Mom, for all your hard work!!

We're all enjoying the berries!!



1 comment:

Annie Louise said...

What fun. I remember picking (eating) strawberries. It was always fun but tiring. Caleb really looks like he is enjoying this probably new treat to him. Thanks for the update.
Jeanette