Hannah's actual birthday was spent with Grandma & Grandpa. They stayed until Monday afternoon so Grandpa took the boys to McDonalds for a morning snack and then to open gym gymnastics. He's done that a couple times now and the boys just love it!
Hannah stayed home with Mom and Grandma and tried on all her new clothes! She started the day out wearing the pink outfit, tried on the yellow & gray one and ended up wearing the green and gray skirt and top! Such a girl!
After the boys came back, we went out for lunch and then up to the Willamette National Cemetery to visit all the family grave sites. We found our way to Grandpa & Grandma Thomas's and Great-Grandma Mastrude's. I took a picture on my mom's phone, but forgot to get one on my camera!
Then we headed over toGreat Grandpa's grave. I remember when Grandma Sorensen was visiting and I took her there, the kids and I were walking all over the field looking for his name. I didn't even realize that she had walked straight to it and was having her own little visit. It was so romantic. I asked her how she found it and she said that she walks along the outside until she finds a certain name and then walks straight back until she finds Grandpa's. I remember thinking at the time that it was a name that would be easy to remember, but then Monday I couldn't remember it!
I actually started out walking along the top edge of the field and then realized it was the other side she walked along. I started walking and thinking how in the world I would recognize it and then I saw it! "George L. Washington" and I looked up and my Dad was at his Dad's grave, about 15 rows straight back from there. I think we'll all remember that from now on! : )
Moss had pretty well covered the grave, especially the letters. Dad took some keys to scrape them out as we all joked about who's job it is to maintain the grave stone! I suggested Dad's brother, Bob--who lives in Pennsylvania--but is the Eldest of the kids...shouldn't that be his responsibility?! Surely not the closest, living relative to the cemetery.....me? : )
I had wanted to get up there to the graves on Memorial Day but it was pouring down rain all that weekend so it was nice to take the trip with my parents the following Monday!
In the back seat of the van, the boys found a pen and tried to draw some facial hair on themselves! Silly, silly boys!! I told Elijah that I'm taking his picture this time so that he won't have to do it again! :)
That evening the weather was so beautiful! We got some fried chicken from the store, brought some other food from home and took bikes to a park to eat, play & ride for Hannah's birthday dinner! It was nice!!
2 comments:
sitting here with tears streaming down my face, you would think that after 41 years seeing my dad's grave would be easier. I can not tell you all how much I appreciate you taking care of his grave and visiting him.
Hannah sounds like you Amy, always changing her clothes. Hannah also looks like Aunt Jackie at her age (Hannah's age not Jackie's current age ; ) Especially with her side fountain and when she scrunches up her nose, like "nobody better take this it's mine" look. Did the ink face come off the boys easily? Again, love the updates, and thank you for going to Dad's grave.
Oh, Aunt Jeanette, I wish you could've come with us! I'll try to get up there more often just for you! ;) That's fun that Hannah reminds you of Aunt Jackie! Her baby age...not her current one! ;) Ha! Miss you and love you!!!
Post a Comment