Friday, November 30, 2007

Personal Success Story!

Growing up in my family there was a routine, a certain way that we put the lights on the tree. We would get them out, usually my brother and I would lay them out in a straight line across the floor to make sure they all worked. Then we would roll them up like you would a vacuum cleaner cord and Dad would place them on the tree while Mom or me would follow behind him letting out more light cords. It was great!

Then Joel and I moved to Slovenia.

Christmas lights here come in a circular string and are not able to be plugged into each other. This is so, so, so frustrating as you try to put them on the tree. Especially if you grew up with such a great system like I did! So every year that Joel and I are trying to put the lights on the tree, this stress grows in me and we end up getting frustrated with each other at the very beginning of decorating our tree. It is not great.

This year though...when we were driving home with our tree I told Joel, "Joel, I am not going to get upset this year about the lights. Is it okay if you just get the lights on the tree (he handles those sorts of frustrations so much better than me!) and then we decorate the tree together? I don't want to ruin the feeling of decorating the tree over how frustrating the lights can be." He said, "that sounds great." And it was great.

I think he might have gotten frustrated with the lights, but like I said, he just handles it so much better than I do. So that's my personal success story that I am so happy to share! Thank you Lord!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for Joel! We put up our tree last night and struggled with some roped lights as well. The great thing about having teenaged sons is they can help Dad with the tree & lights - and the girls get to join in for ornaments. It's a great arrangement. I sweeten the deal for the boys by baking cookies they can eat hot from the oven while they struggle with lights. It is win-win for all of us. Glad you're working out these deep family issues early!
Andrea Pitcher

Amy Woodard said...

That's a great idea about the fresh cookies, I'll have to do that next year! And I'm so glad to hear that we're not the only ones who struggle with these lights. : ) And those pics of Grace's trip with Ken are so, so cute! She's growing up so fast!!

mom & dad said...

For years our tree lighting was also a struggle! The best invention ever was the pre-lit trees. Now I know they don't smell as pretty, but it sure makes it less stressful!!

mom & dad said...

Your tree looks beautiful - as usual!