Being from Oregon, I feel like recycling was sort-of thrust upon me from birth. Not an inherent desire to, but a knowledge of how good it is to do and how terrible it is not to do, concept of recycling. Recently we were at the Patty's house and they had a bin near their sink where they put food scraps in for recycling. They mentioned how bad they are for the environment when mixed with all the other trash and ever since, I haven't been able to get that out of my Oregonian, tree-hugging head! (Thanks Pattys!!)
So...we've started saving food scraps! I just read a bunch online about it and feel like I'm in way over my head and "just want to help save the environment!" can't it be a little more simpler?!
I have a rinsed-out milk carton that we've filled with all the "right scraps" to add to our wood pallet sort-of thing that Joel throws all the grass clippings into. Am I on the right track? Does it need to be more like a covered plastic bin? I would love any advice from any other environmentally friendly, tree-huggin' people further on down the road to saving the environment one scrap at a time! (I totally mean that affectionately by the way! : )
4 comments:
We compost our food scraps with our yard stuff. I just thrown in our stuff when my little container in the kitchen gets full and it works great. If you are disposing of the correct stuff (no dairy and meats), it should be stink free and compost well with your yard stuff. You'll want to make sure you mix it every now and then. If you start to get smells, you may just need to add more yard stuff. There is some ratio formula of brown to green, but I just kind of throw in what we have.
WE have a patch of ground that we're composting to make some good dirt - we then spread that dirt into flower beds or the garden when we're planting. The compost area is turned over ground and we layer scraps (no dairy or meat - mostly vegie pealings and such) and grass clippings or any other organic matter from your yard/cuttings. Every so often Ken turns it all into the ground and it composts - this dirt gets so healthy and full of worms (how to know it's healthy) and we spread it where we need it in the spring & fall. Way to go! It always makes me feel good to be putting good things back into the earth around me.
Andrea PItcher
Okay, just don't say "mom made me do it" recycling the things that fill the dumps like cans and bottles and such seem to be good enough for me! I tried a composte in a covered bin with worms and such, not, definately, not my thing!
Good luck,
Love you,
Mom
Thanks for the tips!! I'm really enjoying it and am amazed at how much I almost throw something away and then remember "oh yeah! That goes in the compost!" It feels great!
Post a Comment