Sunday, November 29, 2009

35 years

Joel and I started a little tradition when we were living in Slovenia. It started one summer when we were in Paris. We were passing by the George V, a 5 star hotel a block or two away from the Champs-Elysees. I wanted to just see the inside of it and Joel surprised me by asking if we could order some coffee in their beautiful sitting room. We felt completely out of place and enjoyed every sip of our $20 coffee!

Since then we have made it a special treat that we do when we travel or just get some time away together. A cup of coffee is about all we can afford in places like that!

So last Wednesday on my 35th birthday (yikes!!) Joel surprised me by taking me to lunch at a 5 Star hotel. It was a beautiful old Colonial Plantation home that has been turned into a hotel within the last 5-6 years. It was beautiful and so fun to bring that little tradition into our new life that we're starting here in Charleston. Afterward, we sat in one of the sitting rooms by a fireplace--it was actually chilly that day and it felt wonderful to sit by the fire!--and enjoyed some coffee. In Slovenia, my favorite coffee was "kavo s smetano"...a cup of espresso with a huge dollop of whipped cream, sometimes sprinkled with cocoa powder, other times chocolate sauce drizzled on top. Yeah, totally healthy! So that day I ordered a cup of espresso and asked for whipped cream on top. I have to say that it wasn't quite as attractive as the ones in Slovenia (the whipped cream had already melted by the time the waiter brought it to me) but the taste was same and it was delicious!

It was a perfect way to celebrate my birthday!! Thanks Honey! I love you!! Caleb enjoyed his time too!!

3 comments:

Chris & Julie Sorensen said...

Again, I get to be first!! yah! Sounds fun making little traditions that are all your own. As for me, I remembered a few moments shared with a little baby girl in my arms at home alone while dad and Tony went to gramma's house for Thanksgiving! I see in my mind's eye the picture that we took of Tony reaching down to give you a kiss! Sound familiar? Just placing Caleb on their laps sounds so much like that day!
Happy late birthday greetings to my little girl! Love you.

Ben and Cherianne V said...

I totally know what you're talking about when you go to nice hotels. When Ben and I were on our Honeymoon in Kauai we stopped by the Princeville hotel (5 star hotel) and wanted to check it out. There was live music and we wanted to listen so I ordered tomato soup from the menu and greatly enjoyed myself next to the musicians. Goodness it was so expensive, but I had such an amazing time!

Ben and Cherianne V said...

Happy Birthday!