Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Back to School

School supplies, warm, sunny days and leaves drifting through the air. It's Back to School time again! I love this time of year. It always feel like this should be the time of year when resolutions are made, new goals are set and a fresh start is begun. I tend to do it this time every year anyway. I break out my cookbooks and start meal planning again, being more intentional with my/our family's time and overall just feel like a new "year" has begun. I love it!! :)

Abigail is in 2nd Grade now and Elijah is beginning Kindergarten! The school district calls it, "Gradual Entry" for Kindergartners, but I like to call it, "disjointed" Kindergarten. It's school one day, not the next two or three days, then back to school again and then not and then, it officially begins! :) I'm sure it's great for some students and probably pretty helpful for the teachers, so I won't voice my complaint too far! ;)
 
Yesterday was Elijah's "screening" day. I'm not exactly sure what that means, except that only 8 or so kids were there, they visit all the places they'll use during school and they take the parents aside to a different room and explain all the necessary things about having a child in school. It's helpful for parents and nice to have all your questions answered in one sitting. Elijah is pretty excited and ready for school to begin, although he was very quiet yesterday. No tears, he almost cried when Joel hugged him goodbye, but he held it in.

Kelly Creek purchases school supplies for you, requesting a $25 fee at the beginning of the year. I LOVE buying school supplies though, so I stock up on things when they're on sale in July & August. It's helpful as a school volunteer to see the supplies they fly though like glue sticks and colored pencils and be able to add to their supplies throughout the year. Plus, I just like having all those fun things at home too! :) The kids went to school with a gift basket for their teacher of a few supplies, a pack of gum and some chocolate. Gotta help them get through this first week! ;)

We had our little "Back to School" breakfast yesterday and I overheard Abby tell Joel, "I love the first day of school because Mom always makes it special." Oh that just about melted my heart and made it all worth it. I love "making things special" and sometimes I KNOW I overdo it or get lost in the making "it" special that I forget the "who" I'm doing it for. This year though, I got it right and it felt good to hear that it meant something special to Abigail on her special first day of school.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Joel made the initial pancakes, even a "school house" shaped one! It was my first time to put sprinkles in the pancake batter and I loved how they turned out! So cute and festive! I'm definitely going to do that again!
 Abby the Second Grader & Elijah the Kindergartner...so cute!
 
 
Abby came home saying how excited she is to have her own box of supplies this year to store in her desk! The previous two years they had "caddies" on the table that all the kids shared, so it's pretty special to have her very own! ;) Big girl...growing up!

1 comment:

Annie Louise said...

Good job making the first day of school so special for everyone!!!
Abigail and Elijah look delighted to be going to school. What great memories you are making. Love to you all,
Jeanette