Elijah's birthday was extra special this year! Hannah and I had been at the hospital for her UTI and we were able to come home the day before his birthday! Joel and I had switched places the final night she was in the hospital and Elijah told me when I came home, "Mom, if Hannah gets to come home tomorrow, it will be my biggest birthday present!" Oh sweet boy. I stopped in my tracks and hugged him and he burst into tears. Every time Hannah and I have left to go to the hospital, it's Elijah's who crying about our family being pulled apart. Sweet, tender Elijah. It's not often that we see that side of our guy, so I take notice when he reveals that part of himself.
Usually, it's rambunctious, toeing the line, pushing and testing boundaries Elijah who's skipping, jumping, running and occasionally walking through the house. He has been full of energy and going somewhere in life since he was a baby! I remember walking around a Zoo in the Czech Republic when he was just 15 months old and people telling/suggesting getting one of those baby-leash backpacks. Yeah, that was NOT going to happen...but it sure would've been helpful through the years! ;) One thing we always say about him is that "even when he has no idea where he is, he always knows where he's going!" ;)
Elijah is a strong leader and (sometimes) uses that for good! ;) He's so focused at school, puts his head down and gets his work done and moves on to the next thing. Often his backpack is filled with worksheets because he's done the same one several times. His teacher says he's a gift to have in class, and we're so thankful! ;) (Do teachers say that about every kid?!) Really though, it's fun to see him at school because it's such a different side than we see at home.
He's fun-loving and and even though his siblings take his teasing as provoking, he really just loves to have fun! His love language is physical touch which means he can't keep his hands to himself! ;) It often creates frustration with his siblings because his "touch" is playful but really, he is just trying to show them he loves them! He often smacks my own rear, which I have to remind myself, "he's saying he loves me, even if it hurts!" ;)
Elijah wakes up on the sunny side of his bed every.single.morning. Seriously. He's just a happy, happy boy. He often wakes up with a song on his lips and LOVES music and dancing! His favorite musician right now is Toby Mac. "Speak Life" is on repeat in his heart and his cd player. It's a prayer we have for him as he goes through life...that he will speak life to those around him as he bounces through life! We love you sweet, tender, energetic Elijah!
One other thing that I really appreciate and love about this boy is how flexible and accommodating he is. I rarely hear him talking about "next year for my birthday, I want..." he just sort-of goes with the flow of our family life which is why it was really fun to celebrate his birthday at Disneyland last year! He didn't have a birthday party with friends last year --hello! We were in Disneyland...he understood and really, who wouldn't. But this year...with all that is going on, we told him we wouldn't be having a party with friends again and his response? "Okay, that's fine!" I threw up a Happy Birthday banner and some streamers, blew up some balloons and baked a Lego cake and quickly invited Jon, Erin & the boys and our neighbors over to celebrate our guy. Your flexibility to just roll with life is a gift, Elijah, hold on to that as you grow up!
I liked Abby's reaction to the Lego Store Gift Card we got Elijah for his birthday. ;)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment