Hannah came down with another UTI just before Christmas. We were going to drive over the mountain to spend Christmas with Grandpa and Grandma but we ended up at Randall's instead. Having a bacteria in her body that is resistant to regular oral antibiotics necessitates us moving quickly when she comes down with a fever associated with symptoms of a urinary infection. She needed to have a urine sample done so we were sent to Randalls--just in case--it was the resistant strain of bacteria which would require IV antibiotics.
I was completely disappointed with the decision since my Mom has pancreatic cancer and we just don't know how many more Christmases we'll have with her. People started praying and less than 48 hours into our stay at the hospital, the results came back that the bacteria was enterococcus which was treatable with amoxicillin! It was a huge answer to prayer! We got out of the hospital as quick as we could, headed home and packed up for Christmas at Grandma's house, prescription in hand.
We completed the prescription and about 36 hours later all her symptoms returned as well as pain in her kidney. We called the pediatrician right away, were seen within 10 minutes even and a new urine sample was taken. White blood cells were found again, more than the first time around so she was put on another oral antibiotic while we waited the 48 hours for the final results of what type of bacteria and which antibiotic would be effective in beating it.
In the meantime, I called Hannah's urologist to let him know that another infection had happened that might affect his opinion about having the corrective surgery done.
Hannah's a trooper and although she says with tears, "I don't want another poke." she knows that it has to happen and she sweetly complies. She's playful and friendly with all the nurses and staff. I think she enjoys all the attention. ;)
Since arriving, the plan of treatment has gone back and forth much like the phone calls on Friday. I wasn't surprised though, it was like that back in September when we were here as they test the urine sample to find the bacteria and discover which antibiotic is the most effective in beating it and determine the best course for Hannah.
I've been using the "fitness room" here at the hospital. Yes, there's a fitness room! It's so nice to be able to use it! While I was there this morning, there was a rainbow in the sky. As I headed back to Hannah's room, it was even brighter and it reminded me of Psalm 145:17. It was so big, I had to take the picture from two different windows! ;)
He is so good and trustworthy. He is so faithful!
Hannah had fun riding a tricycle through the hospital today! It was nice to get out of the room for awhile. We've read lots of books, played her new Memory game and watched movies in bed. If our children must spend time in a hospital, this is the best place to be! Joel came this afternoon and we were given a "pass" to take Hannah out of the hospital for a bit. We headed to Lloyd Center for a chance to walk around and shared the yummiest Cinnabon cinnamon roll! YUMM!
No comments:
Post a Comment