We've been hitting sales every Saturday morning and finding many, many bargains. Some things we've prayed for specifically before we left and the Lord has supplied it, in brand-new condition and a bargain of a price. Other things we've happened upon, like toys or books for the kids and have opted for some, turned down others.
At one sale we found a stack of Dr. Seuss books and a couple others for $2! Both of the kids have been loving having those around! Joel's Dad was a radio DJ for years and has a great voice for reading those books to the kids! Abigail's favorite right now is "the kitty-cat book".
The last sale we stopped at there was a baby doll stroller and two baby dolls, along with a couple bags of baby accessories. The little girl selling the toys came over and explained that one of the dolls was "alive" and showed us how "Baby Annabell" worked, sucking on her pacifier, closing her eyes and laughing & cooing. Abigail fell in love right away! As we walked around the sale and were deciding to leave, we realized Abigail was pretty enthralled with Annabell.
Joel asked how much they wanted for the baby and they said $25 for all of it. It was a good deal, but $25 was just a bit much for where we're at in life right now. They didn't really seem like they wanted to split up the package. Joel took Elijah to the car and I started to tell Abigail we had to leave the baby things behind and she just started crying. Not a whiny cry though...a really sad cry. I was holding her as I just let her cry for a bit. I know how it feels to walk away from something that you really, really want. It's not fun. She actually didn't cry all that long, but she was really sad. I asked her at one point if she could just walk away from it and she said, "I can't, Mama..."
Meanwhile, a woman who was shopping at the sale walked by us to go to her car and then came back. She was looking at all the baby things and I started thinking, "maybe she wants it for her Granddaughter or something". She asked if Abigail was crying because she wanted it all and I told her that "yes, she was, but with just moving here, we can't afford buying it for her right now." The woman stood there a few more minutes and then gave us $20!! and told us to buy it for her, returned to her car and drove away!
It reinforces my trust in His care for us when I see Him taking care of our kids needs and desires too. I know He does it for Joel and I, but to see Him give Baby Annabell to Abigail just because she wanted it...it's just good for my heart to see my God take care of my girl.
PS--The baby sounds so real sometimes! I think it might be good for Elijah to prepare him for another baby coming soon! : )
6 comments:
Oh Amy, what a special gift! That story brought tears to my eyes. It's fun to see Dad reading to Abigail too. He has a GREAT voice for reading. I think he should record himself reading bible stories or something and give it to the grandkids for Christmas. What a treasure that would be!
It is so wonderful to watch the Lord care for our children in ways we have experienced. I have recently watched the Lord build one of my boy's faith through answering a (silly-to-me) prayer. It ministers to a mother's heart!
Okay, Bekah told me about this today before I had a chance to read it and I totally teared up! I am again now after reading it. That was so sweet!!
Ditto on everyone's comments before me. Tears, yes. Thrilled for this blessing too. And agree that those Dr. Seuss books & Baby Annabell were necessary now:) Yey God!
Rainy
Wow, that is incredible!
I have some incredible stories of garage sales. A couple weeks ago I told my husband I needed a new pair of shoes because my back was hurting from my present pair. We couldn't afford nice quality shoes with all our military expenses recently. Literally the next day a relative gave me a brand new pair of shoes (danskos) she found at a garage sale that didn't fit her feet and thought the sale was too good to pass up. I couldn't believe it!
It is amazing how the Lord knows your needs!
That is great and made me cry too! God is our provider.
Post a Comment